Songs in foreign languages

A particular song helped you? Let's hear it
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
linn
Newcomer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Songs in foreign languages

Post by linn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:37 pm

When I watch songs in which I do not understand the language, it often happens that I connect more easily to emotions. I am wondering why? I have been reflecting upon this a bit, because I love world music and I often listen to music where I have no idea what the lyricks means.

One thing that I feel may be is that the words does not get in the way of the feeling of the song. Or it may be because I generally struggle to hear the lyrics when the voice is accompanied with lots of music, so I am more used to feeling the melody or the sounds of everything together and the sound of the voice.

I feel that folk music, which I hear is an essential element in world music, connects with my soul. As if the music is deeply rooted in many generations of souls expressions. When something really comes from within someones soul, I feel it is very powerful, and finds it's way into my soul. Not only music, but any kind of art. I feel the power of pure passion and desire when it is expressed.

One thing I have noticed is that the passion the singer has when singing the song stands out to me much more, when I do not struggle to hear or understand the lyrics. And that helps me connect to emotions I have around how I am connected or disconnected with my own passions and desires.
And I have also felt the blockage I have with my own voice and the fear I have to sing holeheartedly, even when I am alone. That has connected me to lots of grief of missing out on how singing has the ability to open me up to God.

Here is one example of songs that moved me deeply:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojumPA_bFNM
(I found the lyrics.... here: http://www.lightinbabylon.com/songs/hin ... %A4%D7%94/ which I find really sweet, in the simple english translation from hebrew, I feel I can connect to a never ending longing for a soulmate...and I really love how she just translated her own hebrew text into english in the way she knows how even if it's not correct english...she still gives us a chance to understand )

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable