Therapy

Any Divine Truth related question relating to the teachings of Jesus & Mary
Katherine
Newcomer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Therapy

Post by Katherine » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:56 pm

Hello,

To begin I'd like to give some context. About 2 months ago my fiancé, whom I believe to be my soulmate, ended our relationship for a number of reasons. I believe there were lots of addictions in our relationship and that it degraded because of our desire to hold onto them.

In the time since, I've had a good opportunity to see my own addiction and the justifications I've made. I've also begun to draw clear parallels between my behavior in our relationship and trauma suffered as a child.

I was placed in therapy as a child and have resisted it most of my adult life because I hated feeling judged and labelled. Now that I've found Divine Truth I see that many other tools are available. I left my last therapist because I felt the focus was on "coping" or soothing my way out of intense emotions, instead of experiencing them.

However, I am curious about the possibility of engaging in modalities (such as EMDR) which invite people to experience traumatic and painful experiences. I recently heard a session in which Jesus recommended working with a therapist to find painful emotions/experiences. I know that there can be addictions with having someone "take away" pain or fear, or to having others give answers. I know I've stayed very intellectual in my process and have asked for lots of advice without paying much heed to the feedback I receive.

I also recognize that physical, visceral experiences of my emotions have allowed the greatest progress and I wonder if some assistance in uncovering locked emotions would be a loving step? (Most of my childhood and specific early traumatic experiences are blacked out of my memory. I know the stories but have a hard time physically/emotionally accessing them in a conscious way--they tend to just play out in intense emotional reactions to triggers)

Thank you for sharing,
Katherine

Marina Smargiannakis
Community Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Therapy

Post by Marina Smargiannakis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Hi Katherine,

Although I am a person who has a history to not feel a lot of my facade and addictions (which I am currently challenging), I do feel that on the subject of Therapy I could share my own experience.

First and foremost, I really have a strong feeling that the reason anyone wants to try some sort of Therapy, massage, modality work, NPR, reiki, chakra work, cranio-sacral therapy, anything that could bypass the mind, especially after listening and trying to practice Divine Truth is due to the LACK OF FAITH IN GOD.

I actually realized, this morning, how so much, perhaps almost all of my struggle and stagnation, and resistance to feeling my addictions, and doing any of this work is because I actually have a feeling that God does not have His best interests intended for me, that my emotions are toyed with, that I can be given a sliver of happiness, only for it to be taken away on His accord. I want to work more with this emotion, because it what I have prayed for, but because we are talking about therapy and other ways to connect, I feel it's really important to acknowledge our lack of faith in God and this constant Love that can be offered to us, that we don't honestly want, nor feel we can have.

I started seeing a therapist a year and a half ago, because I was very resistive to 1)feeling any of the feedback that Jesus and Mary gave me regarding the relationship I had with a man who I felt is my soulmate (3 years worth of feedback) and 2) I wanted another way to help me open up since I couldn't/didn't want to do number 1.

My intention with my therapist, which is what I told him straight off the bat, was to help me work with my childhood trauma, and direct relationship with my Mom and Dad, which includes their emotions regarding the opposite sex, in general.

Now for me, and I guess it is personal for anyone, it was, and still is important for me to even allow myself to talk about the dark feelings I have. Even though I have superiority emotions, I also self-punish a lot, and I feel I need help with this subject in a more 'practical' manner, which my therapist helps me with.

So I just wanted to say although practical and loving ways to open up to our damage, anger, fears and grief are great, if they help us open up to processing our emotion, I do feel that even we don't acknowledge our issues with God, we can never have a real relationship with Him/Her, and can never grow to our fullest potential.

Hope my personal experience helps a little.

Rita R
Muted

Post by Rita R » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Hello Katherine,

I have been working with a therapist who's primary focus is on developmental trauma and neuro-somatic re-programming (stabilizing the nervous system) using a variety of methods, including EMDR. I have found the work to be extremely helpful in tracking my emotions physically, during the sessions as well as when triggered. The way I handle incidents that trigger me has changed dramatically, as well as my general anxiety levels. I am sleeping better and feel that I'm healing a lot of old wounds with very little talk involved. Most importantly I am more loving towards others as well as myself because I am not reacting from old injuries (or doing so far less often might be more accurate).

It sounds like maybe we are opposite in how we react to triggers -- I shut down and freeze whereas it sounds like maybe you go into fight mode. Either way, this therapist is equipped to help you recognize/feel through the triggers in your body first rather than the story of what happened. She also helps me track the triggers back to childhood events, then feel through those and release the memory/trauma physically and emotionally. Nothing hands-on, nothing she does for me -- I do the releasing, she just sort of holds a safe space to do so and guides me through the process. I do it more and more on my own now.

And, good news, she does skype sessions so she can work with you regardless of where you are. If you (or anyone else on the forum) are interested, please send me a private message and let me know. I'd be happy to share her contact info and website.

I feel that Marina's comment below was overstepping just a bit.
First and foremost, I really have a strong feeling that the reason anyone wants to try some sort of Therapy, massage, modality work, NPR, reiki, chakra work, cranio-sacral therapy, anything that could bypass the mind, especially after listening and trying to practice Divine Truth is due to the LACK OF FAITH IN GOD.
Maybe that statement could be amended to: anyone who relies on therapy rather than doing the work required of themselves outside of the sessions is partly due to a lack of faith in God. (it could also be due to arrogance, laziness, entitlement, denial, or other addictions and fears)

That said, regardless of the modality, you'll have to engage a good therapist but those are few and far between. I have found that most therapists re-abuse or traumatize their clients. Even a good, compassionate, non-judging, open therapist who never expects to "fix" you or just help you cope (such as the woman I am recommending) is still just a beginning step, and in my experience it is a loving first step. Eventually we all must strengthen our relationship with God if we truly want to progress, I do agree with Marina in that way.

I wish you well and if you have any questions I'd be happy to share what I can.

Rita R.

Elvira
Community Member

Post by Elvira » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 pm

Hi,
I'm not an expert in therapy, except to the extent that I have had a lot of it. I feel therapists helped me to begin looking at situations in my life from a different perspective, and while talking can become addictive for me it helped to access feelings I never knew I had (I was living in toughing my way through everything). I have had EMDR and similar therapies and feel they can be dangerous. I had situations where a lot of emotions would be coming up and I would be feeling terrible grief and the EMDR or tapping would make me feel completely calm and I would be left feeling it was amazing, I could move on from that particular issue. Many of those issues which I felt I dealt with in therapy have come up for me again in a way which demonstrates to me that processes such as EMDR just rebury the feelings. I have when I have thought about these experiences suspected that a bit like hypnosis these therapies can create an altered state of consciousness or disassociation from ourselves which can also invite spirit influence and it can be spirits who think they are helping us by taking the pain away.
All my best Elvira

Lena
Community Member

Post by Lena » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Just to add to this helpful discussion.
I would like to recommend these videos by Jesus and Mary, about healing, therapists and their limitations. About healing with God involved or sessions when no God is present.

I feel for those who haven't watched them yet, would benefit in the awareness and knowledge about some of the common issues that happen at most therapies and healing sessions that occur on the planet.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RCrTM0fHg-o

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_apqYcuUK0I

And I would like to add one more link, to a similar discussion on this forum by other users:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=701

Rita R
Muted

Post by Rita R » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:25 am

Hello Lena,

Thank you for those links. I will watch the videos you suggested, plus view the links in that other thread on the subject and see if they answer the questions that came up for me after reading that Elvira had a very different experience from mine.

Much appreciated,
Rita R.

Katherine
Newcomer

Post by Katherine » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:03 am

Thank you ladies for sharing your own unique experiences with therapy. Thank you Lena for steering us in the direction of Jesus and Mary's discussions on the topic.

I've wondered about LOA in all of this as well, as EMDR has come up in conversations and reading a bit lately and I was feeling there might be some reason it was in my awareness. It sounds like people have very different takes on their own experiences. I certainly understand that we can only get so far without God, and I recognize Marina's comments about lack of faith as being relevant for me. **side note: the feedback session for Marina has been very helpful to me in looking at my own unloving behavior towards the man I believe to be my soulmate**

There are no shortcuts on this path,that's for certain. I'm open to exploring ways to challenge my resistance and bring more into my awareness. While I work on my relationship with God, and my faith, I feel it could be loving to utilize tools at hand to explore my past.

Rita, I am unable to utilize private messaging on the forum. Would you be able to email me information on your therapist? My email is (removed by Lena) I desire to be in touch with her and use prayer and reflection to determine if this step is appropriate for me.

Thank you :)

Rita R
Muted

Post by Rita R » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:11 am

Sure thing, Katherine. I discovered after writing that original post that I am also not able to use the IM portion of the forum, so I'll email the info to you.

After listening to a portion of the Healing Group video that Lena suggested, I realized that what has probably been the most effective part of using trauma therapy is that once I learned to feel the triggers in my body and release emotions physically (shaking mostly) then I was able to ask God for assistance and love. That practice became a cue for me to pray for Divine Love if I had actually released anything causal... which of course led to more emotions and realizations. It's taken lots of time and devotion.

The fact that I didn't include that portion in my initial description of what I find helpful about the therapy shows me that I am either uncomfortable talking about prayer and God's Love with others, or I am just so unaccustomed to it (probably because it feels like it makes me vulnerable so I have mostly avoided it) that it slips my mind. Just another fear to challenge.

Katherine
Newcomer

Post by Katherine » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:36 am

Hi Rita,

Thank you so much for opening up about how you've integrated these tools with prayer and a connection with God. At least as far as I understand it, that's a root question to ask all along the road when we take actions: are we trying to avoid the relationship with God or enable it?

Your reflection is particularly profound for me because I have had several intense episodes of shaking. At first they always scared me and I tried to breathe my way out of them. I've learned to accept them and let them run their course, but the part about praying for a Gods love to enter is not something I had considered up until now. Perhaps because I am so unaccustomed to that reality, but also perhaps due to lack of faith or trust in God. Thank you for sharing, as it's a good reminder that this is a process and it can take time for us to learn and integrate prayer as we remove our blocks and build our faith. AJ did highlight ( in the video part that I've watched so far) the pivotal role that prayer plays and I feel that integrating prayer will of course make any other modality practiced more potent and effective.

I look forward to talking with your practioner and seeing what comes of this inquiry.

Lena
Community Member

Post by Lena » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:52 am

Hi Katherine,

Just to let you know that I have removed your email address from your post.
There are ways to pass on your contact details to others, avoiding doing it publicly.
For example you will be able to send private messages once you make 10 posts on this forum.

Please remember that this is a public forum and your contact details are seen by anyone.

You can read about this on this post written by Nicky:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=521

Cheers,
Lena