Being "Timed Out" Of The Forum When Posting - a third option

Offer feedback on the site - any suggestions are welcomed
Locked [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anna S
Community Member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Being "Timed Out" Of The Forum When Posting - a third option

Post by Anna S » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi!

Nicky wrote under Announcements:
I would just like to warn you all about a part of the forum software safety feature which times your account/profile out due to a certain period of inactivity (I believe it's 20 minutes or more). . . . (text removed by me)

There are a number of ways you can circumnavigate this issue. One of which is that you can just highlight your whole post when finished and "copy" it so that if the forum times you out when you click "submit", you can simply log straight back in and "paste" the info back into the comment box. The only thing you'd have to do is to re-write your thread title if your post was to start a new thread off.

The second way is that you can write up your post in a Word document or something similar and simply just copy and paste it over to the forum comment box when you are happy with it.
I have also experienced losing a long post when I submitted it - not funny at all (smile), so I have started to work with the option "Save Draft".
You find your saved draft under User control panel which you find when you click on your name on the top right of the page. There you can choose manage drafts and view, edit, save and load your draft back to the thread you are working on.
I find this option handy when I want to sleep a night and read my post again before submitting it, and when I am copying the post to a translation tool to check my english ;-)

With love
Anna
Anna Skevik, Sweden

Nicky
Site Admin

Re: Being "Timed Out" Of The Forum When Posting - a third option

Post by Nicky » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi Anna

I would like to make a comment that the option you have outlined below DOES NOT prevent somebody being timed out of the forum unless they regularly click "safe draft" before the 20 minute deadline is up. If they click "save draft" after this point, they will still be logged out of the forum and lose their post.

The "save draft" option is therefore best used as the other way you described (translation tool, writing a post up and then going away from the forum/feeling before posting) rather than as a way of avoiding being timed out of the forum and losing your post in that one sitting if taking longer than 20 minutes.

Hope that makes sense.

I will now lock this thread.

Thanks
Nicky

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable